Fake IDs are used in Georgia for several purposes including but not limited to buying alcohol by minors and committing financial fraud. Usually, sophisticated equipment is used to make counterfeit IDs currently circulating in Georgia. These are hard to spot by law enforcement. However, there are specific tells that officers can use to tell a fake Georgia ID apart from an authentic one.
Common things that counterfeiters often miss when making Georgia IDs
- Correct numbering,
- Ghost images, and
A large number of fake ID services usually skip on one or more of these because of a variety of reasons ranging from the expensiveness of baking these features in the fraudulent IDs to the common perception that these aren’t checked properly. Laser-engraving all these details onto a bogus ID is pretty expensive.
The First Checks
The first few checks that law enforcement officers, bank tellers, HR professionals, car rental agents, college officers, etc. do are as follows:
1. Physical appearance checks
If someone who can be easily pinpointed to be 20-ish in age shows an ID with a birthdate of 1970, then that’s an obvious lie. It might sound stupid, but an ever-increasing number of IDs getting caught in Georgia include this amateur mistake.
Physical appearance transcends the apparent age. For example, height is a common metric that can be used to tell apart counterfeit IDs in Georgia – if someone is close to 6’0” but the ID lists them as 5’2” then that’s another obvious fallacy that determines that the ID used is fake.
2. Spelling Mistakes
Typos in fake Georgia IDs are more common than one would imagine. Spelling mistakes in the common words written in a Georgia ID (such as Class, Rest, End, ISS, SEX, HGT, WGT, EYES, EXP) are, apart from being a major red flag, are a major occurrence as well.
A large number of IDs are not created as fake but tampered with to make them fake. This includes IDs that have a replaced photograph. In these cases, the image sticks out or feels thicker because of the added layer.
Just like all states, Georgia also has its specific set of watermarks and holograms. These are one of the first few things that officers will check. Watermarks are not only difficult to replicate, but they’re also hard to check. Officers in Georgia undergo routine training for spotting fakes and checking for watermarks is one of the initial steps.
Georgia’s New Laws To Combat Fake IDs in 2021
Georgia has recently adopted new training and laws for combating the rising issue of fake IDs. The usage of these ids throughout the state has already been rising to unprecedented levels and it was an alarming concern. The recent changes in law include more robust training of the official staff to curb fake ID usage as well as the utilization of newer information channels to educate service providers and other non-government sources. Consequently, ID checks have grown pretty sophisticated in Georgia.
How are fake IDs spotted and caught in Georgia?
Apart from the illegal purchase of alcohol and financial fraud, fake licenses are used extensively on college and university campuses. Georgia has been pretty efficient in cracking down on certain types of fake ID usage. However, it’s very far from having a reliable and efficient arrangement in place.
So, how are Georgian fraudulent IDs spotted and caught?
Note that more sophisticated counterfeiters use several techniques to make their IDs more resilient to tests and checks.
Further checks include:
- Material Test – : The material used in real IDs is bendable. Expert counterfeiters use the real material used in real IDs that bends in their fake IDs.
- Microprint – One of the most common ways to check for the legitimacy of an ID in Georgia. It’s the fine print that’s on all IDs. A low-quality fake ID will have an apparent flaw in its reproduction of the microprint. Very high-quality, fine, and clear microprint is hard to reproduce but not impossible. When done right, counterfeiters can pass through this check as well.
- Georgia ID Holograms – Holograms are impossible to recreate by any counterfeiting mechanism. IDs are checked for hologram discrepancies in more serious situations like if the person looks shady or the purchase in question is for a high amount. However, counterfeiters use detailed coloring technology that nearly matches actual holograms. This can allow fake IDs to pass as real in specific cases.
- Scannable Function – Premium fake id websites use scannable 1D and 2D barcodes that can be scanned and that pass all scan verification systems. IDs are scanned in many scenarios. This is a final test that will sort out any Georgia ID that is not real.
Georgia State Steps to Curb Fake ID Use
There are security features that make fake IDs unable to emulate a real ID. These are paid the most attention to. Sometimes, they can be pretty simplistic stuff such as typos and watermarks as mentioned in the earlier sections. However, the newer ways of cracking down on fake ID usage in Georgia include a robust physical check.
You see, fake IDs have been rampant and even though ways exist to tell a real ID apart from a fake one, if the people responsible for checking the IDs are not conscious and aware enough, then it’s of little help. That’s why the state has taken a different approach this time.
They’re gearing up for mass awareness to combat fake IDs in Georgia more effectively. This awareness sure includes ways to actually determine a fake ID but more importantly, it tells people to be cautious. The awareness becomes highly weaponized when supplemented with the statistics involving the glaringly widespread number of fake IDs in circulation.
This is a serious issue and the state of Georgia believes that the first step towards stopping fakes effectively is to first tell people about it – give them the hard facts.
This information equips everyone from small-town bank tellers to car rental service providers with the necessary information to double-check all IDs they go through. Mostly, Georgia residents go for one of these four types of illegal IDs:
- Fake IDs that have been created using sophisticated software and technologies: These IDs closely resemble real IDs and are very hard to tell apart. Used for more serious crimes, these are usually created abroad with specialized equipment that allows these IDs to inherit a few of the qualities that are hard to replicate otherwise.
- Manufactured IDs – Created at home or in smaller operations and have some glaring differences from real IDs. These differences are still hard to see and nearly impossible to determine if given a quick look. These are used mostly in smaller towns all over Georgia.
- Tampered Georgian IDs – Alteration of a legal identity is a punishable offense as well. This can range from changing the photo to changing the name or date of birth. Used mostly for desperate bids to acquire services otherwise illegal for the holder (such as purchasing liquor), these are rampant all across Georgia.
- Using another person’s ID – People, especially when traveling to other parts of the state, can use other people’s IDs to purchase alcohol or commit crimes. Usually, a relative’s ID is used so no alteration is required. For example, if John Doe’s ID is used by his son David Doe, it’s nearly impossible to call it because the face might show some resemblance.
A combination fake ID can also exist. For example, using another person’s ID and using your own photo on it is a combination of #3 and #4.
Please follow and like us: